CentreStage, Asia’s premier fashion event, returns for its fourth edition, running Sept. 4-7 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Organized by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC), and sponsored by Create Hong Kong of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the show features some 240 brands and more than 40 fashion events, offering an ideal platform for fashion brands and designers to gain international exposure, and helping to reinforce Hong Kong’s position as a leading fashion hub in the region.
“CentreStage returns once again to provide a comprehensive promotional platform through which Asian fashion brands and budding designers can launch and present their latest fashion collections and connect with global buyers and fashionistas at the same time,” says HKTDC Deputy Executive Director Benjamin Chau. “I am happy to see a greater number of local and international fashion brands participating at this year’s CentreStage, underscoring the event’s position as Asia’s leading launch and marketing platform for fashion brands and highlighting its ability to create diverse business opportunities.”
CentreStage 2019 will have “Future Tribes” as its central theme. The event will feature three thematic zones: Allure—representing craftsmanship, refinement and elegance; Iconic—displaying avant-garde designs; and Metro—showcasing contemporary, minimalist expressions of urban life.
This year’s show will feature some 240 fashion brands, including more than 80 local brands along with international labels from Mainland China, France, Italy, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the United States and more. Thirty-six buying missions comprising about 1,600 international fashion buyers have been organized to visit the event, providing opportunities for designers to interact with the industry and get useful market insights.
The spotlight opening gala show on Sept. 4, CentreStage Elites, will see the global launch of the latest 2020 Spring collections from Hong Kong designer Anais Mak’s internationally renowned brand, Anais Jourden, as well as acclaimed New York designer Joseph Altuzarra’s brand, Altuzarra.
Following CentreStage Elites, the Fashion Hong Kong Runway Show will feature seven local designer labels that have made an impact around the world.
Another highlight of this year’s CentreStage will be the finals of the Hong Kong Young Fashion Designers’ Contest 2019 (YDC) held on Sept. 7. The VIP judge for YDC 2019 is Mihara Yasuhiro, a renowned Japanese designer, who will share his insightful critiques with the finalists. The 16 shortlisted candidates will compete for five honors, including champion, first runner-up, second runner-up, the New Talent Award and Best Footwear Design Award. The winners will be announced on the same day.
Redress, a local non-governmental organization promoting sustainable fashion, will present the Redress Design Award, the world’s largest sustainable fashion design competition, sponsored by CreateHK. The Knitwear Innovation and Design Society will present the Knitwear Symphony 2019 and the ninth Hong Kong Knitwear Designers’ Contest to promote Hong Kong’s knitwear industry.
Hong Kong in Fashion
Running from Aug. 17 to Sept. 30, Hong Kong in Fashion features over 90 fashion events beyond the CentreStage fairground, collaborating with more than 90 Hong Kong fashion boutiques, restaurants, hotels and cultural landmarks to generate “fashion heat” across the city. Highlighted events include:
– A photo gallery to showcase fashion designs from fair participating brands will be staged at Fashion Walk’s Kingston Street
– A fashion photo exhibit will be arranged on the ground floor of Lee Theatre in Causeway Bay
– A group of trendy buskers and dancers dressed in outfits created by participating fair designers will perform on the ground floor of Lee Theatre in Causeway Bay
– A group of young dancers will perform a flash mob dance performance at Mira Place, The Mira Hong Kong hotel and on Mira Steps in Tsim Sha Tsui
– The Mira Hong Kong hotel’s COCO cafe and patisserie in Tsim Sha Tsui will run limited Bombshell cake and tea set desserts with a CENTRESTAGE theme
– Singer Lung Siu-kwan and fashion gurus will hold a fashion and live music event at D2 Place in Kowloon
– A fashion parade featuring professional models will be held on Paterson Street in Causeway Bay to showcase collections from the two CENTRESTAGE ELITES 2019 designers
– A group of secondary school students will showcase their evening dress collections along with a live music performance performed by their schoolmates at Lee Tung Avenue in Wan Chai
– A fashion-themed floristry workshop will be held at Lee Tung Avenue in Wan Chai, where participants can create their own memorabilia
The Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is a statutory body established in 1966 to promote, assist and develop Hong Kong’s trade. With 50 offices globally, including 13 in Mainland China, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a two-way global investment and business hub, organizing international exhibitions, conferences and business missions to create business opportunities for companies, particularly SMEs, in the mainland and international markets. For more info, visit www.hktdc.com/aboutus.