The Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB) announced the latest recipients of the 2014 International Convention Scholarship Award at a press conference held Nov. 26 at the Bureau’s office. Now in its sixth year, five outstanding individuals were selected after a rigorous selection process involving a proposal submission and interview with the reviewing committee.
Recipients of the International Convention Scholarship Award received a grant of up to RM 10,000 covering travel, accommodation, association membership and convention registration fees to enable them to attend the international convention of their choice.
“I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to these talented Sarawakians who have taken a positive step to build international professional networks — networks that will help in winning more international convention bids for Sarawak in the future,” stated Mike Cannon, managing director, SCB.
“Our past winners have gone on to bid and win international conferences in their respective industries. Through the scholarship, we can develop local convention hosts and in turn, showcase the benefits and opportunities that come from networking at these conventions.”
Winners were selected by a judging panel consisting of representatives of SCB who shortlisted the finalists based on written applications and interviews with selected applicants from various backgrounds.
“The pool of applicants…displayed during the interview process, a strong sense of passion and dedication in their field of work, and this award will serve as encouragement to bid for more conventions to Sarawak,” commented Dylan Redas Noel, director of industry development, SCB.
The award winners for 2014 are:
- Peter Bong Hon Chiong, Jemaah Nazir & Jaminan Kualiti, Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia
– International Education and Development Conference 2015, March 2015 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Dr. Elena Gregoria Chai Chin Fern, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
– Inter Congress 2015 of the International Anthropological & Ethnological Sciences, July 2015 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Dr. Michelle Lee Hui Lim, Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia
– 6th World Congress on Women’s Mental Health, March 2015 (Tokyo, Japan)
- Dr. Dennis Wong Mou Ling, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus)
– IEEE International Conferences on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, April 2015 (Brisbane, Australia)
- Genot Ak Sinel @ Jeannoth Sinel, Land & Survey Department Sarawak
– ASPRS UAS Symposium 2014, October 2014 (Reno, Nevada, USA)
An initiative of SCB, the International Convention Scholarship Awards are open to all residents of Sarawak over 18 years of age. Applicants could be from educational institutions, private companies or Government Departments, or they could be students of tertiary institutions who have support from their University or College. They must either be existing members of non-profit or Government associations to be eligible to join. The selected convention must rotate among different destinations and fulfil the criteria to be hosted in Malaysia.
For more information, visit http://sarawakcb.com/special-programmes/international-association-convention-scholarship-award/.