Five outstanding show managers will be presented with The Expo Group Show Manager of the Year Award (SMOTY) on Nov. 12 in Houston.
The 10th annual SMOTY award winners are:
• Tier I – 1 to 150 booths: Michelle Roddie, Vice President of Operations, Mid-America Events & Expos, Inc. and Kocina Marketing
• Tier II – 151 to 300 booths: Jenn Kampmeier, Founder, Indy Baby Expo
• Tier III – 301 to 700 booths: Crystal Lucas, Director of Event Operations and Services, UBM
• Tier IV – 701 to 1,500 booths: Tyrone Curtis, Exhibits Manager, AARP
• Tier V – 1,501+ booths: Gene Sanders, Sr. Vice President of Trade Shows, Society of the Plastics Industries
These five show managers demonstrated innovative practices, a strong customer service philosophy, a commitment to success and an ability to overcome obstacles. All nominations were judged by an independent panel consisting of Michael Hughes, associate publisher, Tradeshow Week; Sam Lippman, president, Integrated Show Management and Marketing; and Donna Sanford, publisher, EXPO Magazine.
“From serving babies to seniors, this year’s SMOTY winners have served their clients with professionalism and creativity, using innovative practices to make a difference,” said Ray Pekowski, The Expo Group president and CEO. “We are humbled to help honor these show managers who toil, often unrecognized, behind the scenes to make our industry great.”
Award winners will be honored at a dinner and ceremony on Nov. 12 in Houston, the night before the Tradeshow Week Fastest 50 event opens to celebrate success. The awards this year are sponsored in part by the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau and Wyndham Jade.
Honorees receive $1,000 for their favorite charity as well as the iconic SMOTY crystal obelisk. Winners’ charities will be posted at www.theexpogroup.com so their peers and friends will have the ability to show their support by making a donation online. Since the beginning of The Expo Group SMOTY awards program, more than $50,000 has been raised for various charities.
The Expo Group SMOTY awards are open to anyone in the industry responsible for producing a show, regardless of any affiliation with The Expo Group. This year’s nominees were self-nominated as well as by their co-workers, vendors, exhibitors and board members.