Following the completion of the inaugural National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) Total Store Expo at the Sands Expo and Convention Center, exhibitors donated 6,000 pounds of consumer goods to be dispersed to various charitable organizations throughout the Las Vegas.
Officials for the NACDS worked with Sands Expo officials to donate leftover products to local non-profit organizations to be dispersed to those in need. Local non-profits will benefit from useful donations ranging from cosmetics, health and hygiene products, food and beverages, and household supplies to other consumer products available in chain pharmacies.
“During these challenging economic times, we are deeply grateful to the exhibitors at the NACDS Total Store Expo for their product contributions to help those in need in the Las Vegas community,” said Steven C. Anderson, president and CEO, NACDS. “We appreciate partnering with the Sands Expo to distribute these goods to local non-profit organizations.”
The non-profit organizations that will receive goods from the product donation include:
- The Teacher Exchange, which was created by the Public Education Foundation and provides free resources to public classrooms while helping the environment.
- The Shade Tree, which is the largest shelter of its kind in Nevada and is the only 24-hour shelter designed to meet the needs of women and children in southern Nevada.
- Three Square, which is the only food bank serving southern Nevada.
- Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada, which provides quality health care to uninsured and unemployed residents of southern Nevada, including the chronically ill and those seeking preventative care.
- Southern Nevada Health District, which provides vaccinations to 100,000 children in the region each year.
“Supporting our community has always been one of our core values,” said Ashlyn LaPorte, executive director, Sands Expo. “Partnering with the NACDS has been an amazing experience, and has allowed us [to] provide donations to several leading agencies at an unprecedented level. The number of people who will benefit from their generosity is incredible.”
The NACDS represents traditional drug stores, supermarkets and mass merchants with pharmacies, from regional chains with four stores to national companies. Chains operate more than 41,000 pharmacies and employ more than 3.8 million employees, including 132,000 pharmacists.
Members fill more than 2.7 billion prescriptions annually, which is more than 72 percent of annual prescriptions in the United States.
The Sands Expo is the largest privately owned exhibit and convention facility of its kind. Identifying “community” as one of its core values, the Sands Expo actively creates and participates in numerous charitable partnerships within its industry and community. Reinforced by the resourceful and innovative thinking of its team members, Sands Expo has been able to support a growing list of local, national and international non-profit organizations and initiatives.