Exhibit City News is joining IAEE, Exhibitions Mean Business, GoLive Together, EDPA and ESCA to encourage everyone to take the actions below and make an impact now to help save our industry! Our momentum has been strong, and we can’t let up!
As Congress hammers out a compromise on the HEALS Act and the HEROES Act, legislators will consider multiple provisions that directly impact our industry. Our voices have been loud and clear—we need support and we need it now.
The goal of this action alert it to ask legislators to include specific provisions in any compromise deal.
Here is how you can help make an impact:
STEP 1: Contact your U.S. Representatives’ and/or Senators’ offices
Whether you live in or conduct business in a state, send your message directly to the office of your U.S. Representative and Senators. We ask that you email directly to your Members of Congress staff contacts. This list provides you with staff names, phone numbers and email addresses. (Please note: this excel file of personally identifiable information was legally obtained and complies with privacy data laws). You may ask, why is this step so important? Because you will then be in direct contact with staff members that have responsibility for these issues. You will be more effective in using this approach.
STEP 2: Send the message below
The exhibitions, meetings, and events industry has been devastated by the impact of COVID-19. Full economic recovery cannot happen unless, and until, this industry reopens. I’m asking that you include these provisions in any compromise bill:
• PPP (Continuing Small Business Recovery and PPP Act):
• Expand eligibility under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) to 501(c)(6) organizations, including nonprofit associations, chambers of commerce, destination marketing organizations and others, with 300 or fewer employees to include covered supplier costs, worker protection expenses, and operating expenses.
• Include Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) in the PPP: DMOs, which are generally 501(c) nonprofits or quasi-governmental entities funded by local hotel taxes, provide critical economic development services for nearly every community across the U.S. DMOs are the engines of the travel economy and their collapse will slow the economic recovery of the entire travel industry.
• Liability protection (SAFE TO WORK Act): To provide liability protection that will be critical to our industry’s ability to restart business events safely, without fear of frivolous lawsuits.
• Health and safety tax credit (American Workers, Families and Employer Assistance Act): To provide a refundable payroll tax credit to cover testing, PPE, cleaning supplies, and qualified workspace modification and technology expenses (e.g., contactless technology, partitions).
• Funding for increased testing and vaccine development (Coronavirus Response Additional Supplemental Appropriations Act): To provide an additional $16 billion for states to offer testing, contact tracing and surveillance, and $26 billion for vaccine development and distribution.
Here’s why, as your constituent, I am asking for your support.
• Exhibitions and events drive local economies. Our industry generated $396 billion in direct spending and $1 trillion in gross production in 2019.
• Exhibitions and events drive tax revenues. $123 billion in total tax revenues in 2019 including $74 billion that is state and local tax revenue are generated by business events.
• Exhibitions and events drive innovation. 1.7 million exhibitors rely on events to drive revenues and 80% of exhibitors are small businesses.
My business depends on you. My community depends on you. I depend on you and ask that you support this industry.
STEP 3: Decide on the communication channel: email, phone call, a written letter or even fax!
Your voice makes a difference. Collectively we can drive change. Doing our part now will make a significant impact on getting us back to the business of live events.
Recent action alerts from U.S. Travel Association and ASAE, EMB and GLT infographics and collateral you may consider sending are listed below:
• Power of Travel Coalition Advocacy Toolkit
• ASAE Action Alert for PPP for 501(c)6s
• Industry-related infographics
For more info, contact Contact Exhibitions Mean Business at email@example.com