(Pictured L-R: Robert McLean, exec. VP of PPAI and chairperson of the 2019 CEIR Board of Directors, and Ian Sequeira, VP of research and measurement at Freeman and chairperson of the 2019 CEIR Research Council.)
The Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR) has named Robert McLean, CPA, CAE, and executive vice president of Promotional Products Association International (PPAI,) as chairperson of the 2019 CEIR Board of Directors.
“CEIR provides invaluable research to guide participants in the trade show industry,” says McLean. “From research on attendee retention and the changing environment of the tradeshow industry to the annual CEIR Index Report, CEIR provides useful tools to help the industry and its members grow. I am honored to be the chairperson of such an important organization and look forward to working with its dedicated staff and board members.”
As PPAI’s executive vice president, McLean is responsible for its tradeshows, membership, information technology, finance and administration as well as the Promotional Products Education Foundation. Prior to joining PPAI, his most recent position was CFO and COO of QI Systems Inc., a publicly-traded designer and manufacturer of smart card systems for unattended payment devices to be used on vending machines, parking meters and laundry machines. McLean was responsible for QI System’s SEC reporting and accounting, and oversaw the engineering and operations in its Vancouver facility.
Ian Sequeira, VP of research and measurement at Freeman will serve as chairperson for the 2019 CEIR Research Council, which reviews and recommends research-based initiatives to the CEIR Board of Directors. In the first half of the year, reports are forthcoming from research completed in the latter part of 2018 which evaluate the brand image of the B2B exhibition channel among heads of marketing. New studies to be launched in 2019 include a Sponsorship Practices Study, an Exhibition Performance Metrics Study and Industry Insights Series reports, in addition to the release of remaining reports in the Attendee ROI Playbook Series.
“I am honored to serve as this year’s chair for the CEIR Research Council alongside distinguished exhibition industry professionals who represent the various segments of our industry,” says Sequeira. “Their knowledge and expertise in determining the research areas that will most resonate with CEIR constituents is invaluable. I look forward to another successful year by providing our industry with highly relevant and actionable data and insights.”
Remaining members of the CEIR Board of Directors include:
- Secretary/Treasurer Carrie Ferenac, president of Convention News Television
- Immediate Past Chairperson Tom Cindric, Jr., CEM, senior VP, Informa Global Exhibitions
- Director Antonio Manuel Brito, CEM, CMP, CEO, Newevents–Organizacao de Feiras e Eventos, Lda
- Director Marie Browne, Group VP, LaunchPad, Reed Exhibitions
- Director Julie Coker Graham, president and CEO of Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau (SMG)
- Director Chuck Grouzard, executive VP of exhibition sales, GES
- Director Kimberly Hardcastle-Geddes, CEM, president and chief account strategist, mdg
- Director Buffy Levy, director and event services of SmithBucklin Corporation
- Director Tim McGuinness, staff VP global expositions of International Council of Shopping Centers
- Director Daniel McKinnon, CEM, executive VP of exhibitions and events at Material Handling Institute (MHI)
- Director Justine L. McVaney, senior VP, event planning and operations of National Association of Broadcasters
- Director Yulita Osuba, CMP, deputy director of Orange County Convention Center
- Director Dennis Smith, MBA, president and CEO of Messe Frankfurt North America
- Director Janet Sperstad, CMP, program director, meeting and event Mmanagement of Madison College
- Ex-Officio Member David DuBois, CMP, CAE, FASAE, CTA, president and CEO of IAEE
The Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR) serves to advance the growth, awareness and value of exhibitions and other face-to-face marketing events by producing and delivering knowledge-based research tools that enable stakeholder organizations to enhance their ability to meet current and emerging customer needs, improve their business performance and strengthen their competitive position. For more info, visit www.ceir.org.