Destinations International, the world’s largest resource for official destination organizations, convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs) and tourism boards, announced the 2021 Hall of Fame Inductees and the Destination Organization Leadership Award recipient.
The Destination Organization Leadership Award was created in 2017 and is among the association’s most prestigious honors, recognizing those outstanding individuals who, through their exceptional work and achievements, have made a significant contribution to the destination marketing and management industry and a profound difference in the communities they serve.
The Hall of Fame, started in 2014 during Destinations International’s 100th Anniversary, was created to recognize individuals who have changed the future of destination marketing and management for the better, made significant contributions to the advancement of the industry and shaped travel marketing and management.
“These leaders have made tremendous contributions to our industry and their respective destinations,” said Don Welsh (pictured left), president and CEO of Destinations International. “These visionaries have been responsible for the evolution of our industry and have had a profound impact on its healthy future.”
2021 Destinations International Destination Organization Leadership Award Recipient:
- Elliott L. Ferguson, president and CEO of Destination DC
2021 Destinations International Hall of Fame Inductees:
- Larry Alexander, former president & CEO of Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Deb Archer, CDME, former president & CEO of Destination Madison
- Wayne Chappell, former executive director of Baltimore Convention & Visitors Bureau, former president of Kansas City Convention & Visitors Bureau and former COO and VP, tradeshow relations of Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Marion Frances Szurek, former executive director of the San Angelo Convention & Visitors Bureau (Deceased)
Destinations International is the world’s largest resource for official destination organizations, convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs) and tourism boards. Destinations International is about serving destination marketing professionals first and foremost. Together with almost 6,000 members and partners from nearly 600 destinations in approximately 15 countries, Destinations International represents a powerful forward-thinking, collaborative association: exchanging bold ideas, connecting innovative people and elevating tourism to its highest potential. For more info, visit www.destinationsinternational.org.