Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB) announced six lucky winners for the International Convention Scholarship Award at a recent press conference.
“I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to the award winners,” said Mike Cannon, managing director, Sarawak Convention Bureau. “These talented Sarawakians have taken a positive step to build international professional networks — networks that will help in winning more international conference bids for Sarawak in the future.”
Returning for a fifth year, this scholarship program is designed to enable recipients to attend the international convention of their choice. Each award, valued at RM 10,000 (USD 3,079), covers travel, accommodation, association membership and convention registration fees.
“Our aim with this award is to encourage potential new bidders to actively participate in attending international conventions and, in turn, showcase the benefits and opportunities that come from networking at these conventions,” said Cannon. “It is imperative that Sarawak develops its own association base with active local members.”
Selected by representatives of SCB, winners from various backgrounds were chosen based on written applications and interviews.
The award winners for 2013 are:
- Dr. Voon Boo Ho, University Technology MARA Sarawak
– 2013 International Conference on Materials, Architecture and Engineering (Beijing, China)
- Dr. Hamrila Abdul Latip, University Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
– International Conference on Economic and Social Sustainability 2013 (Tokyo, Japan)
- Ngui Kwang Sing, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus)
– The Fifth Asian Conference on Education, ACE 2013 (Osaka, Japan)
- Chua Lee Chuan, Institute Pendidikan Guru (IPG) Campus Batu Lintang
– International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED) (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Dr. Caesar Dealwis, University of Technology MARA Sarawak
– FEL XVIII 2014 Foundation of Endangered Languages Conferences (Location TBD at Ottawa, Canada event in 2013)
- Brian Loh, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus)
– 9th International Conference on Information, Communication and Signal Processing (Tainan, Taiwan)
“The winners were selected based on the quality of their submissions and feasibility of the conference rotation and its scope of programme,” said Dylan Redas Noel, director of research, SCB. “Furthermore, our winners displayed a strong sense of passion and dedication in their field of work, and this award will serve to encourage them to bid for conventions to Sarawak.”
Organized by SCB, scholarship recipients will receive a trophy and celebrate their win at the upcoming Anak Sarawak Appreciation Awards on Nov. 30.