The most popular topic in staffing circles across the country is contract professionals. Yes, some authorities estimate that 70 to 80 percent of all businesses are now using contract workers on a regular basis and with great success. We will look at some of the reasons why business leaders have gone contract, how they do it and how contract staffing can do wonders for your business in these stressful times.
First, we should know that a “contract” employee is not the same as “temporary” or “freelance” employee. The contract employee is an employee of a contract staffing firm (like Kemper Associates) who is contracted out on assignment to another firm (yours) for a term from one month to many months, until the job is finished. This contract person is a highly experienced, specialized professional, paid by the contract firm, who also covers him/her with health insurance, handles all payroll deductions, etc.
Why would you need a contract specialist?
- Your company is under a hiring freeze but still needs highly skilled professionals to complete a project.
- Your company has found a very well-qualified candidate for a key position, but wants to test this candidate on the job, before offering him a permanent, staff position.
- Your company wants to bring back retired specialists. You have no budget for staff workers for help with key project or tight deadline.
- Your company needs to convert a 1099 independent contractor to a W-2 employee because of concerns with the IRS.
Here’s how contract staffing gives you important added flexibility:
- Contract professionals can be brought on board quickly often to meet those tight, short-term deadlines.
- Companies can reduce layoffs by using contract specialists to meet increased workloads.
- Highly experienced contract specialists can offer a valuable fresh perspective to various company assignments.
- Companies have the option of hiring the contract professional on a direct hire basis or letting them go at the end of their contract assignment, avoiding unemployment tax costs.
Yes, the clever, cost-efficient employment of contract hiring can also turn your company around rapidly, in key ways, and bring about noticeable, bottom-line results in these difficult times.
See you here next month for our article, “Does your sales candidate really know how to prospect?”
Philip Kemper is Founder/President of Kemper Associates, a 35 year old Chicago-based national executive search firm, specializing in Permanent and Contract staffing for Trade Shows and Exhibits, Staging and Equipment Rental, Business Meetings and Events Production, Video, Training and Incentives and more .His more complete bio is on LinkedIn at: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/philip-kemper/2/795/308/ . You may view Kemper Associates’ web site at: www.Kemperassociates.net , and contact Phil with questions or comments, and employment needs at: Kemperassoc@hotmail.com, or his private phone line: (312) 944-6551.